Drexel University — IRT

DrexelOne should be able to...

Display Blackboard Learn assignments with due dates

Because professors put dates for projects/papers/exams in Drexel Learn and those feed the Learn calendar, DrexelOne Mobile should show these important dates/times with the schedule of classes. Students would then see all of their plans for the day on one interface rather than combining calendars on the phone manually.

62 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    vincevince shared a merged idea: have an assignments tab  ·   · 
    on hold  ·  DrexelOne TeamAdminDrexelOne Team (Admin, Drexel University - IRT) responded  · 

It really hurts to place this idea on hold, but we need to. We mistakenly thought that the previous Blackboard Learn upgrade ensured that assignments were put into the calendar, which we already read. Unfortunately, the way that Blackboard wrote the feature, the events are shown on the calendar page, but they aren’t actually in the calendar.

For now, we can’t get at the assignment data. However, since we really like this idea, we’ll keep an eye on how things change inside Learn to see if we can resurrect the idea.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • vincevince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! I have to say that I am suprised/impressed with both the speediness and initiative to further develop the app! Thanks!

• DrexelOne TeamAdminDrexelOne Team (Admin, Drexel University - IRT) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any assignments in any of your Learn courses now? If so, do the assignments have due dates?

We ask because we believe that all "assignments with due dates" automatically appear on the course's events calendar. The app already shows the events calendar, so we think that this suggestion is at least partially implemented. We'll do some more investigation on our side, too. Thanks, for the idea and the answers to our questions.

• vincevince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, assignments would be assignments (with due dates maybe?) on blackboard. I don't know much about apps, but I would think that assignments that are outside the system would be extremely difficult to link.

Links to course websites -- For example, my engr 101 class is not only on bblearn, but is also @ https://core.coe.drexel.edu/engr101. (which I find a bit odd).

• DrexelOne TeamAdminDrexelOne Team (Admin, Drexel University - IRT) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you say "assignments," do you mean assignments in Drexel Learn (i.e., Blackboard) or things that your instructor has asked for outside of the system?

When you say "link to course websites," do you mean to the course area in Drexel Learn or to a website outside of Learn?

Since the structure of the syllabus isn't yet standardized, D1M can't read that. The Bb calendar is readable, but it seems like professors are not actively using it.

Is it worth a few students asking their instructors about using the calendar. If usage picks up, we could add this fairly easily.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A notifications module is what this sounds like. For WP, pinning this with live tile support for assignments due would be most excellent.

we'd need the option for manual addition too.

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of putting it on the calendar, it would be preferable to have it under the events category as u suggest. It would be excellent if they were all arranged by due date and course name, listed all assignments and not just those due that day (since many require longterm work), and could be dismissed when completed. If all of this was available, no reminders would be needed, nor would I need to sync to phone calendar. I could just check it daily and manage all work from one place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base